Sunday, August 9, 2009

Perhaps my heart too, is made out of paper.

I tried to refrain myself from reading too much about Paper Heart before seeing it. Initially, I gained interest in watching the film because the fan girl side of me wanted to see the parallel between the narrative and Charlyne Yi and Michael Cera's real relationship. Then I saw a review of it in Spin Magazine and couldn't help myself. One star?! How could this happen. I don't even remember what the review said, but I already had a distaste for the movie. I started to look up more about Charlyne Yi, and I thought her comedy was cute. She was on Conan, and made me laugh. I almost felt like the slate was cleared. While searching for things, I read that the Charlyne and Michael's relationship was a fabrication according to Charlyne in an interview. Wait what...? Why?

Then I went to see the movie and immediately I felt like something was forced. Oh right, it was the beginning where she walks around trying to interview people. I just saw this exact clip online of her just walking up to people and putting the microphone in front of people's faces without asking anything. She does it again, but this time asking about love to get the same punchline- her weird face and her open mouth and people walking away. As the movie progressed, her incessant laughter became a factor of fake-ness and annoyed me. I think the use of having real interviews as a way of her learning about love was a little awkward, once again, because she is in character and asks questions referring to her pretend boyfriend in the film. Of course, I kept in the back of my mind the whole idea that their relationship was fake. I enjoyed the whole paper reenactments of the stories the subjects gave, and thought they were the cutest, but maybe more suitable as a short film with just the interview parts. The relationship between Charlyne and Michael was supposed to be cute, but ultimately made me sick of how cute they tried to be. I actually didn't feel their chemistry, it was just awkward love I suppose... So forced and fake! In the end, I liked the twist because it was not the cliche approach everyone probably expected, but I didn't think it was that funny like it tried to be. Ultimately, it tried hard to seem like it was documenting a real relationship and what it is like, but the forced situations made it difficult to really care about the character's relationship and made it seemed unreal.

I might've read this and so it's fresh in my mind to say, but it was too cute for it's own good. From now on, I won't read or watch reviews before watching movies so I feel better about my reviews... but I am still very self-conscious about them. Thus, not many people will read this. :)

I would still give it 2 1/2 out of 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment