Sunday, August 23, 2009

I don't have any smart pun for this one.

I did read a review before watching this movie, just to find out if it was worth watching or not. Also, I didn't really fully watch the movie, mainly listened and watched some while studying. I know there must be some kind of sin against that, but here's what I thought anyway of World's Greatest Dad.

It's been awhile since I've seen Robin Williams in any recent movie, but I did see him on Conan doing his usual crazy jokes and controlling the whole interview type thing. It's hard for me to remember that he is a good actor, and a varied one, because he is a comedian first. Right? Anyways, I read Brett Elrich's review of this movie and just remember him saying it is a really dark comedy. When I think of dark comedy, I think of In Bruges...which I really liked. I didn't have any expectations otherwise, because Brett's review was pretty simple: It was good because the indie director had his own flair in his indie movie, unlike most indies that try to be different but all seem the same.

He had a good point. I was actually going to watch Inglorious Bastards (online, so it was horrible quality and there weren't visible subtitles in the beginning), but it just wasn't worth it. So I guess Greatest Dad was easy to get into. It didn't take itself so seriously that it almost seemed like a joke. I could see the good and bad qualities of that. During this really emotional scene, the sound was muted with just a song. The director really focused on using songs for their lyrics and parallelism, but the song felt badly used. It was chipper. This could be part of his style, but it made me feel awkward. There are a few parts like that. I feel like they introduced some things that were abandoned by the end of the movie, and overall they were unnecessary plot points. I guess I'll rip off Brett and say that it was really interesting to watch because of this kind of fresh attempt of a style. There is this montage of a scene that was funny yet pretty dark. It worked in the scene, and in the end I was pretty shook up. The movie could have been shorter still, because much of the scenes (in screenwriting terms) after the second false epiphany I guess... were dragged on. I really liked the ending and thought it was worth watching.

3 out of 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment