Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Runaways, more like sleepaways.

I wanted to tweet about this, but it would've been more than 140 characters. So, let's see if I can expand my ideas here.

Whatever interest I had (a lot) in the Runaways (the band), was quickly lost as I found the fault not necessarily the movie, but just their story. I'm sure it was really fascinating during that time to have an all girl rock band start from one girl's idea, but perhaps it was the movie's fault that the story didn't portray this enough. It did not make me want to know more or care at all.

Making a biopic may be hard these days, where documentaries seem like the easy way out, but seeming like you're making a biopic just because you found a great young adult cast and milking them for performances seems like a really self-absorbed fantasy, Joan Jett. Perhaps I am wrongly accusing her, but she is an executive producer.

Anyways, the main problem I had with this movie was that there wasn't anything extravagant about the characters or about the band that seem remotely interesting and worth a movie about. I am all for girl power and stuff, but focusing more on Cheri Currie kind of made it worst. Of course she was young and naive, but why should I care about her false dreams. The whole movie seemed like a dull note of band dynamics that happens to most bands during rock 'n' roll and in general. The performances were fine, but not anything great. The movie even had more interest in itself by recording them singing the songs, which were not very good (although I don't know what the originals sound like, but rock should get me pumped up not sleepy). Mix in some artsy shots and mood music, and this just another biopic. It sort of felt like Across the Universe. Ugh.

Two stars out of four.

No comments:

Post a Comment