Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Boy in the Striped Pajamas

I am not sure what to think of this movie, because every year a WWII movie comes out that is always sad and sometimes resolving. I rented it knowing it would be sad, especially because children are involved. What did I expect exactly?

I think I expected more of the children's spirit taking over the movie, and in this case it was showcased but was not the main thread in the movie. I very much loved the characters the two boys played and found it a little frustrating that they would include such a silly character as the daughter and mother. It tried to include the spectrum of situations that the Germans of this era had to suffer. I thought it was interesting, because not all movies have done that, and necessary for the same reason (for it to branch off).

I was a little irked by the long delays when a character would be staring off-screen and then you can sort of guess what they're looking at, but they eventually cut to it. Suspense, mystery, useless? I liked the camerawork otherwise, and it seemed visually pleasing. In the end, it was pretty dramatic and emotional, thus pretty well executed. It was good, but I am partially on the fence because you can't just say it's bad for some reason. More than trying to tell the stories of the children, I think it was just to give some awareness of consequences and stuff. I'll get back to ya on that.

3 out of 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment